How to Force Beer Carbonation
How do I force carbonate my beer?
Forced Carbonation in a nutshell:
- Siphon beer into a sanitized homebrew keg and attach keg lid.
- Connect gas line and increase pressure to about 40 psi - double check for leaks!
- CO2 dissolves into beer much more easily when the beer is cold, so ideally, place keg with gas line attached into fridge and leave under pressure for about 24 hours.
- Adjust pressure down to 20 PSI for 24 hours.
- Test carbonation level - turn down regulator pressure to about 10 psi and release excess pressure in keg by lifting the pressure relief valve.
- Attach sanitized beer line assembly, pour a beer and enjoy. If more carbonation is needed, turn regulator up to about 20 psi and leave for another 24 hrs.
- For a quick and dirty 15 minute method (recommended only if you're in a pinch) click here.