-Grilled Corn, Bacon & Queso Pico de Guy-o
Prep: 15 min
Chill: 30 min
Yield: 8 Servings
You think people ooh and ahh when you bring fresh guacamole to a gathering? Try this fresh take on party dip. The char from the grill, combined with the bite of the peppers and cool queso fresco... it’s like an explosion of fresh flavors that will keep everyone coming back for more.
- 8 slices of thick-cut bacon, diced
- 4 cups corn, grilled or charred and cut from cob
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 avocados, cut into chunks
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 jalapeño chilies, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Add chopped bacon to pan over medium heat and sauté until crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Roll corn cobs in remaining bacon grease, then grill or char on a hot griddle.
- Using a sharp knife, cut kernels off the cobs and add them to a medium bowl. Mix in the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, avocado, jalapeño and reserved bacon. Add lime juice, then season to taste with salt, pepper and cayenne. Mix well, then top with queso fresco. Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes, until flavors blend. Garnish with lime wedges and serve with tortilla chips.
About the ChefLarry Janke
I am a firm believer that cheese makes everything better. And when you can make and use fresh cheeses in your favorite recipes...Well, life just doesn’t get much better than that. Except maybe if you’re eating homemade cheese while drinking your own homebrew. That would certainly qualify. I started out homebrewing years & years ago. And since then, I’ve become an avid cheesemaker, and winemaker, too. Sharing some of my favorite recipes is my way of converting new makers to the cause!