Coq au Vin
Prep: 10 min
Cook: 45 min
Yield: 6-8 servings
Coq au Vin is a brilliant dish that shows how well red wine can work with white meat. If you don’t have the time to slave over an elaborate dish, this shortcut version can be prepared on a weeknight and is delicious served over pasta. Pinot Noir, with its fine tannins and bright fruit, balances perfectly with the flavor of this dish.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ white onion, finely diced
- 3 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 cup Master Vintner Pinot Noir
- 1 Tbsp. of butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Place chicken in the skillet and cook about 7 minutes on each side, until just cooked through. Remove chicken and set aside. Drain all but one tablespoon of oil from skillet.
- Add onion and garlic to pan, reduce heat and cook onions until very soft, about ten minutes — be sure not to brown them. Add sugar, paprika, red pepper and wine to pan. Increase heat to medium and reduce sauce by about one-third.
- Return chicken to pan. Cover and simmer about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Just before serving, stir in one tablespoon cold butter to thicken sauce and serve over boiled new potatoes.
About the ChefTim Vandergrift
For the past two decades, my life has centered around making, drinking, cellaring, collecting, experimenting with and, above all, sharing my love for homemade wine! That often entails traveling around the world teaching others about winemaking. And along the way, I’ve collected my fair share of go-to recipes…usually including the wine I happen to be sampling at the time. All that to say, wine tastes as good in dishes as paired with them! Bon appetit!
$84.99The exotic bouquet of Master Vintner® Pinot Noir captures luscious aromas of ripe red fruits and spiced chocolate in six gallons of hand-crafted wine. Rich flavors of cherry and tart raspberry merge with notes of dark, juicy currants and bright red strawberry to complement a luxurious, velvety mouthfeel. Pairs well with sharp cheese, pork, veal and salmon. Learn More
$57.99Don't let pinot noir's rep as the darling of wine snobs fool you! The lush flavor of ripe cherries in this crowd-pleasing red makes any meal feel as cozy and comforting as breakfast in bed. Or lunch, or dinner! So settle in, snuggle up and enjoy with your favorite big flavors -- pulled pork, fish tacos, chili. The messier the better for this friendly wine. Life is complex. Weekday Wine is simple. Learn More
$69.99A bold but subtle combination of Pinot Noir and rich, ripe blackberry, this wine is silky smooth in the mouth, with the cherry/berry spice of Pinot giving it a juicy, sappy finish. Learn More
$199.99Fermented on GenuWine Winery Crushed Grapeskins, this medium-bodied red is bursting with flavours of ripe black cherries, red berry fruits and delicate spice notes on the palate. Layered aromas of strawberry, plum, and black cherry are superbly balanced with oak on the nose. Learn More
$147.99Considered a 'feminine' grape by the French, this Pinot Noir is restrained and elegant. Bright ruby with garnet highlights, medium bodied and supple, the wine hints at herbal notes, with a palate of cherries, red berry flavours, raspberries and a hint of oak and velvety tannins. The mouth feel gives a long, subtly smooth finish. Vibrant and food friendly, this wine is excellent with light creamy sauces, goat cheese, roast chicken or duck or mushroom risotto. Learn More
$149.99Garnet with ruby highlights, with aromas of dark cherry, plums and raspberry and a dry finish that comes from lovely, balanced acidity and silky, smooth tannins. Richer in flavour and aroma than the color suggests, it pairs well with richer fish—salmon, or grilled sardines—or soft cheeses. Learn More
$79.99A delightful blend of blueberries and Pinot Noir. The tangy, sweet burst of blueberry combines with the light-medium body and cherry-spice flavors of the Pinot Noir to bring a delicious blueberry fruit flavor to your palate. Learn More