Slow Braised Lamb Shanks with Wine
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 2 ½ hours
Yield: 4-8 servings
Tough cuts like shanks are transformed into fork-tender lusciousness with long braising, but the secret to good flavor is browning the lamb well before braising it. If you’re tempted to skip or rush that step...don’t! It takes mere minutes, but the depth of flavor you get is incredible.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 lamb shanks
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups Master Vintner Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 cups beef stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Place a heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil. The pan should be large enough to fit all the shanks. Generously season your shanks with salt, then brown the lamb all over for approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove lamb, reduce heat to medium, then add the onions and carrots and cook for 10 minutes. When vegetables start to brown, stir in the herbs and garlic and cook for three more minutes. Stir in the flour and tomato purée, season well, then add the wine and stock.
- Return the lamb shanks to the pan. Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and place in oven for 1½-2 hrs until lamb is tender.
- Remove the lamb from the sauce and set aside. Put pan back over medium heat and reduce for about 15 min until rich and glossy. Strain sauce into a separate bowl.
- Serve lamb over garlic mashed potatoes and drizzle with pan sauce.
About the ChefTim Vandergrift
For the past two decades, my life has centered around making, drinking, cellaring, collecting, experimenting with and, above all, sharing my love for homemade wine! That often entails traveling around the world teaching others about winemaking. And along the way, I’ve collected my fair share of go-to recipes…usually including the wine I happen to be sampling at the time. All that to say, wine tastes as good in dishes as paired with them! Bon appetit!
Out of stock
Out of stockCrowd-pleasing Cabernet Sauvignon Learn More
Regular Price: $49.99
Special Price $41.98This big red with dark fruit flavors stands up to savory and spice, in all kinds of cuisine. Great with pasta with meat sauce (think lasagna!) bratwursts, pizza (hold the anchovies) or any gathering of friends who enjoy a robust red wine. Life is complex. Weekday Wine is simple. Learn More
Regular Price: $139.99
Special Price $121.98The oldest vines (between 60 and 80 years) produce fruit unlike any other. This Cabernet Sauvignon has stupefying levels of fruit and extract. The blackberry, blackcurrant and jammy notes give way to pepper, mint, cedar and black cherry. Dense and dark, with rock-ribbed tannins when young, it will round out to a smooth lustrous finish that goes on forever at its peak. Yield: 6 Gallons Learn More
Regular Price: $99.99
Special Price $84.98Warm southern sun and rich red soils produce this classic Aussie Cabernet Sauvignon. Cabernet, the 'King of Red Grapes' gives blackcurrants, blackberry, dark cherry raspberry and chocolate. Grape Skins and toasted oak add firm, structured tannins and hints of coffee and vanilla for a long, satisfying finish that will improve with age. Pair with roast lamb, grilled rib-eye or any rich red meat dishes. Learn More
Regular Price: $179.99
Special Price $160.98This complex, bold wine displays classic Cabernet structure. It’s full-bodied and powerful, but never jammy or soft, like some Australian Cabs. Vanilla accents gorgeous cassis fruit and an appealing aroma of plump blackberries, sweet vanilla and fresh violets with subtle notes of cherries and pepper spice and a tremendous backing of tannin and structure that will last both on the palate and in the cellar. With the fruit and the oomph to stand up to bold flavours, pair this wine with braised short ribs, grilled Portobello mushrooms, or an herb-crusted butterfly leg of lamb. Learn More
Regular Price: $129.99
Special Price $111.98Australian Cabernets are typically softer and fruitier. This wine shows complex varietal fruit flavours including cherry and blackberry. Learn More
Regular Price: $74.99
Special Price $60.98Master Vintner® Cabernet Sauvignon makes six gallons of medium-bodied wine with moderate tannins, featuring savory notes of dark, dried fruit behind aromas of ripe plum and vanilla. Wonderfully complex flavors of currants, blackberry and chocolate burst from this crowd-pleasing wine. Learn More