Pronto! Pomodoro Sauce
Prep: 5 min
Bake: 15 min
Yield: 4-6 servings
Homemade tomato sauce, or gravy as it’s known in some Italian families, is all well and good when you can spend your entire Sunday perfecting it. But here’s a delicious secret Italians have been guarding for centuries Pomodoro is the everyday Italian sauce for pasta, and it takes only 20 minutes to make! I always double the recipe and freeze half. Even faster!
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ cup Master Vintner Sauvignon Blanc
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ tsp sugar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly-grated Parmesan and chopped Italian parsley (optional)
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, just until it begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, white wine and sugar. Season with salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer gently until sauce is slightly thickened, 10-15 minutes.
- Toss with freshly cooked pasta and garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped flat leaf parsley, if desired
- Sauce can be made up to three days ahead and freezes well.
About the ChefTim Vandergrift
For the past two decades, my life has centered around making, drinking, cellaring, collecting, experimenting with and, above all, sharing my love for homemade wine! That often entails traveling around the world teaching others about winemaking. And along the way, I’ve collected my fair share of go-to recipes…usually including the wine I happen to be sampling at the time. All that to say, wine tastes as good in dishes as paired with them! Bon appetit!
$84.99Brightly fruity, this wine has layers of tropical and citrus fruits, along with herbal notes of fresh cut grass. Bright acidity and a crisp finish make it a natural partner with fish and shellfish or for drinking lightly chilled on a sunny day. Learn More
$104.99This medium-bodied and expressive wine presents bold herbal tones and fresh citrus flavours. Straw in colour with a refreshing grassy nose, it delights with a long and fruity finish. Learn More
$147.99Crisp and light, with intense flavours of grapefruit peel and freshly cut grass and an accent of light oak on the finish. The wine presents soft hues, with a slight tinge of green. Learn More
$69.99Crisp, refreshing Sauvignon Blanc, infused with the aromatic fruits of the Caribbean Islands—coconut, lime, mango, in a light-but-luscious wine that pairs well with grilled fish but it rich enough to enjoy with nothing but a sunny day and feet dipped into a pool. Learn More
$79.99Kiwi-Pear Sauvignon Blanc is crisply tart and delightfully fruity. Like Sauvignon Blanc with gooseberry and grassy notes complimented by the Kiwi and Pear notes. Great served chilled or over ice. Learn More
$79.99Easy drinking for those long summer nights. The aroma is fresh and fragrant like your favorite Sauvignon Blanc. Light and fruity, the sweet notes of the melon are the perfect complement to the clean crisp cucumber. Learn More