Coffee Rubbed Bacon Buzz Burgers
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 10 min
Yield: 8 servings
Even if you have a tried-and-true burger recipe, this breakfast-inspired approach is a great wake-up call for your grill routine. The coffee bean rub and smoky bacon will get you buzzing. To go the extra mile, I’ve been known to drop a fried egg on top.
- 1 Tbsp freshly ground coffee
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsps light brown sugar
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4 slices applewood-smoked bacon
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 8 slices smoked Gouda cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 8 potato bread buns
- Mix all dry rub ingredients together and store in an airtight container until ready for use. Good for up to one week.
- Finely chop raw bacon slices until pieces are small enough to be mixed with ground meats. Gently mix with chuck and sirloin in large bowl. Form meat into 8 patties, each 3 ½ to 4 inches in diameter and 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick. Using thumb, make a slight indentation in center of each burger. Cover and chill while you heat barbecue to medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon coffee rub on top side of each burger. Place burgers on grill rack. Grill until slightly charred, about 4 minutes; turn and cook 3 minutes. Top each with 1 cheese slice. Cover and cook until cheese melts, about 1 minute longer. Place burgers atop buns and add favorite toppings.
About the ChefSabastian Desotelle
True confession: I don’t have a daily coffee habit…For me, coffee – and especially really great coffee – is made to be savored. So I always look for ways to highlight the sweet, roasty notes of coffee in my homebrew and on my table.