Sweet & Spicy Coffee Glazed Wings
Prep: 15 min + 6 hours
Cook: 30 min
Yield: 8 servings
One of the reasons I love having cold brew coffee in the fridge is that it’s so easy to add it to a recipe that needs that certain kick. These wings were good, but adding the cold brew took them to a whole new level of complex spice and flavor.
- 4 lbs chicken wing drummettes (with fat and skin trimmed)
- 1 cup cold brew coffee
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup coffee beans
- 1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 ½ Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Sea salt
- Place wings in a bowl and add brewed coffee, water, 2 tablespoons of salt and bay leaf. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 6 hours to overnight.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients to a food processor. Blend until it becomes a fine powder with a few coarse pieces of coffee grounds.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place about a pound of the wings in a large bowl, and add a heaping tablespoon of the rub mixture to the bowl. Add a few pinches of sea salt and 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix it all together. Repeat until all of the wings have been coated.
- Place the wings on a baking rack (recommended) or a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Baste lightly with maple syrup and then cook an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Baste a second time lightly with maple syrup and then broil for an additional 3 -5 minutes, if needed, to caramelize sugars. Keep in mind that cooking times may vary depending on the amount of chicken.
- Squeeze lime juice overtop and serve with plenty of napkins.
About the ChefSabastian Desotelle
True confession: I don’t have a daily coffee habit…For me, coffee – and especially really great coffee – is made to be savored. So I always look for ways to highlight the sweet, roasty notes of coffee in my homebrew and on my table.