Current In-Store Promotions
Take 30% Off All Beer Recipe Kits
To receive your 30% discount, head over to our retail location and purchase any Beer Recipe Kit, then simply mention this promotion. Offer valid in-store only, through 11:59 pm CST on 8/8/2018 or while supplies last. Offer cannot be combined with any other offers, promotions, or discounts. Offer excludes Beer. Simply Beer Kits. 30% discount applies only to the base recipe kit and does not apply to yeast or priming sugar options
Current In-Store Spotlight
Pre-Order our Italian and Californian Wine Juice for just $99.99
Our delicious Italian and Californian Wine Juice are now available for pre-orders at our retail location. Stop by 5825 Excelsior Blvd, Minneapolis, MN 55416 or place a phone order at (952) 925-9854 ext. 1060.
In-Store Homebrewing and Winemaking Events Calendar
Upcoming Classes & Events
Class size is limited! Call 952-562-5300 ext 1060 or visit our new Events Page to register and reserve your seat!
All classes are FREE unless otherwise stated.
2019 RJS RQ Wine Tasting Party
- Thursday, September 27, 2018 @ 6:30 p.m. Sign up for 9/27
- The hunt starts NOW. Join the Midwest Makers for an exclusive intro to some of the most-wanted wines around -- 4 Fugitives, from the upcoming 2019 RJS Restricted Quantities program. Embark upon an evening of discovery and adventure, as special guest Robert Ivankovic of RJS Craft Winemaking guides you through delicious food pairings and a tasting of four notorious and nuanced wines. Each one is inspired by an infamous outlaw and crafted with grapes sourced from their homeland. A reservation fee of $10 is required to secure your spot, but will be applied to your pre-order during the event. Vouchers are limited to 1 per kit. Don’t let these Fugitives get away. Be the first to capture these wonderful wines with an exclusive discount on all RQ pre-orders.
Basic Beer Brewing: Your First Brew
- Saturday, August 18, 2018 @ 11:00 a.m. Sign up for 8/18
- Saturday, Sept 8, 2018 @ 11:00 a.m. Sign up for 9/8
- Saturday, Sept 22, 2018 @ 11:00 a.m. Sign up for 9/22
- Jump-start your homebrew adventure! Learn how to brew with our experienced brewmasters in a fun, hands-on setting. We’ll demonstrate how to brew a batch of beer with malt extract, so you can experience the process from start to finish. Learn practical tips and techniques for a successful brew day and get the expert low-down on siphoning and bottling your beer. You’ll also get 15% off any in-store purchase, to help with your very first brew day! Course Includes: Beer basics: what makes up beer, beer terminology, brief history Brewing methods: how malt extract helps newer brewers Demonstration: brewing beer from an extract kit Guide to brewing ingredients and equipment 15% off in-store purchase
Brew In A Bag
- Saturday, August 18, 2018 @ 12:00 p.m. Sign up for 8/18
- Interested in all grain brewing, but don't have the room or are intimidated by the process? Looking to take the next step after extract brews? This class is for you! We will go over the basics of both partial mash brewing as well as Brew-in-a-bag techniques. We will be brewing a partial mash brew during this class. We will also cover the equipment and supplies needed to make your first batch a success!
- Saturday, August 25, 2018 @ 10:30 p.m., August 26 @ 11:30 Reserve Your Spot
- Stop in and brew with our staff in the parking lot as we pit two experienced brewmasters against each other in a brew-off with mystery ingredients. First customers in the door get to draw the random ingredients for the brewers to use. We will ferment them in store and you, the customer, will decide the winner when we sample them in 4 short weeks.
Intermediate Brewing: Transitioning to All-Grain
- Sunday. Sept 16, 2018 @ 12:00 p.m. Sign up for 9/16
- Brew like a pro. Master the all grain techniques used in breweries all around the world. Our All-Grain experts show you how to ditch the dread and teach you how to mash, lauter, sparge and create your own fermentable wort from grains. This is the class to build on your extract brewing skills, or learn from the ground up with practical tips and hands-on demos from the pros.
Intro to Winemaking
- Saturday, August 11, 2018 @ 11:00 a.m. Sign up for 8/11
- Saturday, Sept 22, 2018 @ 2:00 p.m. Sign up for 9/22
- Soak in the secrets to making wine using varietal concentrates from all over the world. Learn to craft excellent wines at home for a fraction of the cost of buying them. Our winemaking experts will walk you through the entire winemaking process; from selecting the right juice to bottling the finished product. Be prepared to impress your friends, expand your palate and uncork something special.
Wine from Fruit
- Sunday, August 12, 2018 @ 12:00 p.m. Sign up for 8/12
- Saturday, Sept 29, 2018 @ 11:00 a.m. Sign up for 9/29
- Make the most of your backyard harvest! Learn the tricks to making great fruit wines in this free class. Our experts will walk you through all the steps to make a great batch of homemade wine including fruit preparation, fermentation, bottling and everything in between.
Advanced Winemaking: Finishing and Customizing Wines
- Saturday, Sept 8, 2018 @ 12:00 p.m. Sign up for 9/8
- Soak in the secrets to making and customizing wine using varietal concentrates from all over the world. You’ll learn how to craft excellent wines and customize the juice to satisfy your palate. Our winemaking experts will walk you through the finishing steps of making wine and show you how to change the finished product completely by using oaks, tannins, various yeast strains. Be prepared to impress your friends, expand your palate and uncork something special.
- Sunday, Sept 2, 2018 @ 2:00 p.m. Sign up for 9/2
- Want to get into winemaking? Afraid you don’t have the space to make it? Or the cellar to age the bottles? Our winemakers have the solution for you. Learn to make excellent wines in your apartment for a fraction of the cost of buying them. One of our wine makers will walk you through the entire wine making process so you can see how easy it really is.
Intro to Cheesemaking
- Saturday, Sept 1, 2018 @ 11:00 a.m. Sign up for 9/1
- We will get you started on making cheese at home by showing you a variety of techniques including cutting the curd and separating curds and whey. We will talk about various types of cheese, how to use the right milk for the project, explain what the rennet and cultures do to help in cheese making, talk about temperature control and aging. All of these components have an impact on the final cheese product. Join us for this very informative class on cheese making.
Advanced Cheesemaking: Hard Cheeses
- Saturday, Sept 1, 2018 @ 1:00 p.m. Sign up for 9/1
- Learn how to take the next step in home cheesemaking from our Cheesemaking experts. They'll demonstrate techniques in making hard cheeses such as cheddar, gouda and parmesan. Hard cheeses require some extra care including pressing, waxing and the the aging process. Our experts will guide you through them all. Bring your questions and Midwest will provide the answers and the cheese!
Kegging 101: Kegging Basics
- Sunday, August 11, 2018 @ 2:00 p.m. Sign up for 8/11
- Sun, Sept 23, 2018 @ 2:00 p.m. Sign up for 9/23
- Tired of bottling beer? Ditch the bottles and switch to kegging! In this intro-level class, we’ll take the guesswork out of kegging and show you how to properly set up your draft systems, carbonate your beer, and share your brew-tastic creations. You’ll never have to wait 2-4 weeks to enjoy your homebrew again. Best of all, get 10% off the purchase of any keg system, and kiss bottling goodbye!
- Sunday, August 19, 2018 @ 12:00 p.m. Sign up for 8/19
- Sunday, Sept 9, 2018 @ 2:00 p.m. Sign up for 9/9
- Get ready to unlock the ancient secrets of one of the world's oldest (and tastiest) tea drinks! Whether you’re planning to harness the health benefits often attributed to Kombucha or are simply a fan of the tea itself, this free class will teach you everything you need to know to brew refreshing and delicious Kombucha. Along the way, we'll break down the process of fermentation and explore the natural probiotics and other health benefits that make Kombucha special. We'll even go over the different ways to flavor and personalize your Kombucha recipes!
Apple Crushing & Pressing
- Saturday, Sept 15, @ 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Sign up for a slot
- Saturday, Sept 29, @ 11:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. Sign up for a slot
- Learn to turn apples into apple wine or hard cider. There will be demonstrations of crushing and pressing apples as well as answers to questions about cider and wine. You can bring up to 3 bushels of your own apples and practice crushing them. Don't forget to bring a bucket or gallon jug to collect the juice to bring home, otherwise we have plenty in stock for purchase.
FREE Adminssion, but make sure to reserve a 30 min time slot to crush your apples.
Pro tip: Great, sweet eating apples like Honeycrisp actually make very bland cider. To offer a more robust apple flavor, use sharper varieties like Haralson or throw in a small amount of crab apples.
"Back to School" Soda Workshop
- Saturday, August 4, 2018 @ 12:00 p.m. Sign up for 8/04
Savor the last days of summer with homemade craft soda! In this hands-on class, you'll learn to make your own bubbly, fizzy, delicious soda pop from our hobbyist experts. Find out ways to create your own unique flavors of soda using fruits and soda extracts. This class includes free samples of our house-made soda, one bottle of soda made during the class to take home and enjoy, and an exciting experience great for soda makers of all ages!
Make Cider! Intro to Cider Making
- Sunday, August 5, 2018 @ 12:00 p.m. Sign up for 8/5
- Saturday, Sept 15, 2018 @ 11:00 a.m. Sign up for 9/15
- If you love craft cider, you’re going to love crafting it yourself! Let your palate be your guide as you mix and match a variety of flavors in this hands-on cider-making class. Oak, orange peel, cinnamon, grains of paradise… the sky’s the limit! Best of all, whatever genius concoction you make, you can take home with you at the end of class. We’ll supply all the gear and ingredients you need and help you customize the flavors and aromas of your very own cider. Be prepared to impress your friends, delight your palate, and discover how easy craft cidermaking can be.