Special in-Store Events
Stop by St. Louis Park to celebrate our flagship store's grand reopening weekend: Saturday, March 2 and Sunday, March 3. We'll have food, drink, demos and more -- consider it the ultimate crafty shop & sip. Stop in any time, they party goes all weekend!
In-Store Homebrewing and Winemaking Events Calendar
Class size is limited! Visit our new Events Page to register and reserve your seat! All classes are FREE unless otherwise stated.
Basic Beer Brewing: Your First Brew
- Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 @ 11:00 a.m. Sign up for 2/23
- Saturday, Mar 16, 2019 @ 11:00 a.m. Sign up for 3/16
- Saturday, Mar 30, 2019 @ 11:00 a.m. Sign up for 3/30
- Jump-start your homebrew adventure! Learn how to brew with our experienced brewmasters in a fun, hands-on setting. We’ll demonstrate how to brew a batch of beer with malt extract, so you can experience the process from start to finish. Learn practical tips and techniques for a successful brew day and get the expert low-down on siphoning and bottling your beer. You’ll also get 15% off any in-store purchase, to help with your very first brew day!
Intro to Winemaking
- Saturday, Feb 23, 2019 @ 2:00 p.m. Sign up for 2/23
- Saturday, Mar 9, 2019 @ 11:00 a.m. Sign up for 3/9
- Saturday, Mar 23, 2019 @ 11:00 a.m. Sign up for 3/23
- Soak in the secrets to making wine using varietal concentrates from all over the world. Learn to craft excellent wines at home for a fraction of the cost of buying them. Our winemaking experts will walk you through the entire winemaking process; from selecting the right juice to bottling the finished product. Be prepared to impress your friends, expand your palate and uncork something special.
Intermediate Brewing: Transitioning to All-Grain
- Sunday, Feb 24, 2019 @ 12:00 p.m. Sign up for 2/24
- Sunday, Mar 17, 2019 @ 12:00 p.m. Sign up for 3/17
- Brew like a pro. Master the all grain techniques used in breweries all around the world. Our All-Grain experts show you how to ditch the dread and teach you how to mash, lauter, sparge and create your own fermentable wort from grains. This is the class to build on your extract brewing skills, or learn from the ground up with practical tips and hands-on demos from the pros.
Intro to Kombucha
- Sunday, Mar 2, 2019 @ 11:00 a.m. Sign up for 3/2
- Sunday, Mar 24, 2019 @ 2:00 p.m. Sign up for 3/24
- Get ready to unlock the ancient secrets of one of the world's oldest (and tastiest) tea drinks! Whether you’re planning to harness the health benefits often attributed to Kombucha or are simply a fan of the tea itself, this free class will teach you everything you need to know to brew refreshing and delicious Kombucha. Along the way, we'll break down the process of fermentation and explore the natural probiotics and other health benefits that make Kombucha special. We'll even go over the different ways to flavor and personalize your Kombucha recipes!
Intro to Cheesemaking
- Saturday, Mar 2, 2019 @ 2:00 p.m. Sign up for 3/2
- We will get you started on making cheese at home by showing you a variety of techniques including cutting the curd, separating the curds and whey, using a cheese press and waxing hard cheese, We will talk about various types of cheese, how to use the right milk for the project, explain what the rennet and cultures do to help in cheese making, talk about temperature control and aging. All of these components have an impact on the final cheese product. There will be a variety of cheeses for you to try and a few wine pairings (from Midwest Supplies wines) to wash it all down. Join us for this very informative class on cheese making.
Kegging 101: Kegging Basics
- Sunday, Mar 3, 2019 @ 2:00 p.m. Sign up for 3/3
- Tired of bottling beer? Ditch the bottles and switch to kegging! In this intro-level class, we’ll take the guesswork out of kegging and show you how to properly set up your draft systems, carbonate your beer, and share your brew-tastic creations. You’ll never have to wait 2-4 weeks to enjoy your homebrew again. Best of all, get 10% off the purchase of any keg system, and kiss bottling goodbye!
Advanced Cheesemaking: Hard Cheeses
- Saturday, Mar 9, 2019 @ 2:00 p.m. Sign up for 3/9
- Learn how to take the next step in home cheesemaking from our Cheesemaking experts. They'll demonstrate techniques in making hard cheeses such as cheddar, gouda and parmesan. Hard cheeses require some extra care including pressing, waxing and the the aging process. Our experts will guide you through them all. Bring your questions and Midwest will provide the answers and the cheese!
Growing Hops with Josh Havill
- Sunday, March 10, 2019 @ 2:00 p.m. Sign up for 3/10
- Get back to the roots of brewing and grow your own hops. Josh Havillis is here to school you on the ins and outs of the entire growing season. As a graduate-level Research Assistant in Plant Biology at the University of Minnesota, he will walk you through selecting the right hop strains to harvesting and everything else in between. Discover how to grow your very own hops and craft a beer from the ground up.
Advanced Brewing: IPAs
- Saturday, Mar 16, 2019 @ 2:00 p.m. Sign up for 3/16
- If you love a hoppy IPA and you're ready to craft your own, then join our brewmasters in this Advance Brewing course. They'll show you how to dial into the process and craft the perfect IPA by sharing crucial tips and techniques on selecting hops, bittering, and dry hopping. With plenty of inspiration and an extraordinary access to a diverse range of hops you’re bound to craft a superb IPA at home.
Beginner Mead Making
- Saturday, Mar 23, 2019 @ 11:00 a.m. Sign up for 3/23
- Ready to discover what all the buzz is about? Join us in this hands-on Mead Making class as we dive head first into all the equipment, ingredients, and knowledge you need to create your first batch. Learn practical tricks and tips on mastering the art of fermenting honey with live demonstrations from the pros. And if you’re ready to start your brew of the bees, then join our mead magicians let the crafting begin!
Advanced Brewing: Lagers
- Saturday, March 30, 2019 @ 2:00 p.m. Sign up for 3/30
- Brrr... It’s cold out there! But that won’t stop us. Brew up a crisp, clean lager the Minnesotan way by taking advantage of our perfectly chilly conditions to master the toughest brewing challenge there is. Our knowledgeable brewmasters will share crucial techniques for managing the fermentation process to ensure your brew is a success. A tribute to the historic, traditional style that shaped beer tastes from Germany to America. Prost!
Taset Beer Off Flavors: Train Your Palate
- Sunday, March 31, 2019 @ 2:00 p.m. Sign up for 3/31
- Train your palette to detect the off-flavors in your beer. As beloved as beer may be, this beverage also has many opponents. Outside forces like oxygen, sunlight and time do their best to ruin your beer. But even the ingredients in your beer like malts, hops, water, and yeast that make your beer delicious can spoil your beer. Learn how you can prevent your beer from getting spoiled with eliminate these off-flavors. Our Brewmasters will teach you how to identify and control the flavors of your brew.