Based on the tried and true combination of Citra and Mosaic, Arctic Slush takes these iconic hops to the next level. Utilizing the immensely popular Cryo Hops, this recipe unapologetically cranks up the flavor and aroma while maintaining only moderate bitterness.
The base of this frosty ale lends a pronounced malt profile of clean grainy flavors with a hint of toast and a slightly noticeable dark caramel note, while the Cryo hops impart monolithic essences of citrus, pine, tropical fruit, and floral notes. Its modest alcohol character makes Arctic Slush the perfect beer to pair with any meal or another pint.
- Style: IPA
- Fermentation Range: 60-72F
- Original Gravity: 1.051
- SRM: 9
- IBUs: 50
- ABV: 5.0%
- Aroma: Faint toast and slight caramel malt aromas lay in the background as dominant citrus and tropical fruits and slightly herbal and piney hop aromas take center stage.
- Appearance: Deep gold to light amber color with a fluffy white foam head. Good clarity.
- Flavor: High hop flavors of mango, grapefruit, stone fruits, berries, and faint herbal pine are balanced by just enough malt richness with undertones of lightly toasted bread and caramel and toffee-like character. Moderate bitterness.
- Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-light in body with a slightly creamy texture. Medium to medium-high carbonation with no hop astringency.
“As has been proven over and over again, the combination of Mosaic and Citra hops is a real winner. To take this recipe to the next level, gone are the traditional hops, and substituted with Cryo Hops! Due to their high lupulin content, the amount of aromatic and flavorful hop oils imparted into this beer is through the roof.
Utilizing only one hop addition in the boil, the Cryo hops ensure that the bitterness levels are appropriate for the style, while the elevated oil content provides a huge hop character with only a modest amount of hop pellets. The relatively low starting gravity makes for an easy-drinking beer, while (in the case of the all-grain version), the slightly elevated mash temperature ensures that the resulting beer still retains some body as to not be too thin and watery.”
Looking for the Extract Version?
|Total Time to Make||6 weeks|
|Beer Recipe Kit Instructions||Click here for recipe kit instructions|