Unlike competitive units made from simple kitchen-ware fitted with a basic false bottom, the HopRocket has been designed from the ground up as a purpose-built, heavy duty, hopback and hop infuser. This clean sheet approach means truly superior performance and features:
* Pressure tight - up to 40 PSI operation!
* Holds up to 4oz of whole hops - 2X the competition!
* 100% stainless construction & silicone seals
* No need to monitor wort level - will never overflow and spill like competitive units!
* Fully enclosed system from brew pot to fermentor means no volitile hop aromas are lost!
* Inlet at the bottom allows air to automatically purge to reduce hot-side aeration
* Fine filter with wiper seal sends very clear wort to your fermentor.
* Coarse filter and cone bottom inlet prevents wort channeling and backup for even hop utilization
* Works on gravity systems and with pumps (about 4ft (1M) of static head is recommended for best gravity performance)
* Doubles as an awesome hop infuser (Randalizer) for your dispensing system
* 1/2" NPT connections are easy to adapt to - a perfect match for our popular QuickConnector fittings (1/2", 3/8" barb and 1/4" flare)
Proposition 65 Warning for California Consumers: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and/or birth defects or other reproductive harm.
I can fit in a couple of ounces and get a nice hops aroma. Combined with dry hopping it works out and give a tremendous aroma.
I have used my hop rocket to infuse hops as well as a filter. Works well in both applications but not sure if it would be worth the price, received it as a gift. Quality is second to none but just a little steep in the price for what it is
I have the rocket attached to a plate chiller so there is no where for the aromas to get lose once they go through the rocket. I like hoppy IPAs and can make a good 5 gallon brew with the rocket. The hops expand so I don't want to go above 3 ounces but that could work. For 10 gallons you would have only 3 or 4 ounces of ups so there would be less aroma, which would be ok for anything other than an IPA._x000D_
I use a fine mesh hops bag that keeps the sludge to a minimum. If you get some grains and hops particles in the rocket, it's going to block._x000D_The other thing is I use 3 ounces of whole leaf hops for a 5 gallon IPA. It's big, but whole leaf hops expand, so it fills up quickly. If you want to make a 10 gallon IPA with a lot of aroma hops 5+ ounces then my recommendation is to not use this, and instead do a hop stand at 180F. in any case you should dry hop too.
After using the Rocket for a year I'm no longer using it. Instead I put the hops in a nylon mesh bag, and let them sit in 185F wort for 30 minutes while it cools down. This also gives aroma and I can fit in more hops. The Rocket is too small and blocks if you jam in more hops.